Monday, July 2, 2007

Cairo Through Fresh Eyes

Living in Cairo for the past two semesters as a study abroad student at the American University, I didn't realize how comfortable I had gotten with my routine, or how little I had actually stepped out of that routine for a long time. For the past 8 months, I have spent my time shuttling between my house in Zamalek and the American University campus just across the bridge. This afternoon, I got to see Cairo through fresh eyes, both my own as I experienced a new area of Cairo, and those of my fellow teachers, as they got to explore the city for the first time. Today, going to Coptic Cairo to visit the LAMB center, I had the chance to step out of the comfortable routine I had established for myself, and into the challenging new area I will be adapting to over the next 6 weeks. Riding the metro, navigating the alleys of Coptic Cairo, and dealing with a classroom full of students older than myself is daunting but exciting, and I can't wait to get started! I have the feeling that I am going to see more of Cairo during these 6 weeks than I've seen during the past two semesters, judging by the group's enthusiasm for all types of sightseeing and cultural exchange. It feels great to be embarking on a new experience with my amazing fellow volunteers, and to be seeing Cairo through fresh eyes.
KATE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're finding something new to see - you've been there a long time, Kate, and Egypt's craziness can get weary for some, especially with the summer heat. But the other volunteers are AWESOME, so I'm sure you'll have a blast!