Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pluses and Minuses of teaching...

So my classes and office hours yesterday brought both their share of teaching rewards and challenges. The challenge was that I had my first 'off' class -- the opening activity I selected seemed to be a bit over the heads of my section 11A students, they were less focused (and more chatty) than they had been previously, and only a few of them turned in their homework (which was frustrating, since I had stressed repeatedly at the last class that it was very important for their grade, etc.). However, the 11B section (which I teach right after 11A) was much more on the ball and picked everything up very quickly. So, I suppose I'm finding it a bit difficult to know how to adjust the classes and material to appropriate levels for individual students (who seem to vary a lot in their level of comprehension, despite all being in the same 'level' class), and also to know how to discipline adults, as I felt a bit awkward requesting (firmly) that some of the students whispering to each other show respect for their classmates, and turn their homework in when it's due (which I thought that was basic...). So I suppose we'll have to go over rules again at the next class, and I'll also have to start preparing a few back up-materials/alternative activities for my lessons in the situation that something I plan draws blank stares again.

Despite that small frustration, my office hours were fantastic. Two girls and one guy from my Saturday 11C class (and his financé, who he wanted to introduce...how cute) all came to visit and we chatted for the entire two hours. It was really fun to get to know them better, and I got to learn a lot about the Coptic community in Egypt, which I find very interesting. For instance, I was very surprised to hear from my students that none of them have good friends that are Muslims, and that, in Egypt, businesses are almost completely segregated on the basis of religion (i.e. a Chrisitan cannot get a job in a 'Muslim' company and vice versa). I knew the Coptic community was very tight-knit and (perhaps understandably) private before coming to Egypt, but I was surprised to hear that there is not much interaction between Muslim and Christian neighbors in communities, for example. I think that's unfortunate, and I am curious as to what has caused such a sharp divide over the years (i.e. is it because the state purports more Islamic values and laws discriminate against Christians? or has the Coptic community chosen to self-segregate?). I will be interested to learn more about this divide from my interactions here over the next several weeks. However, overall, I am very much enjoying the opportunity to help my students practice their English and also learn so much about a foreign culture and place -- the office hours are going great!

Anyhow, we are all off to Alexandria for the next two days, which should be a nice break from the hustle, noise and pollution of Cairo. On Sunday, Hiba and I will also be visiting a community center in Giza that one of the other teachers at LAMB (Sadek) also teaches at. We will be sitting in on two English classes and getting a feel for what the center does/who it serves to see if it might be a potential, future option for LE programs in Egypt. We'll report back to let you know what we think!

Ma salaamah,
Rachel

No comments: